Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Red Sweaters


So I have a page-a-day calendar about knitting. What? Why are you looking at me like that? This is the Knitting Knerdspace you know, where I get to express all my Knitting Knerdiness. And that includes my page-a-day knitting calendar.

I look forward to coming to work every day, to pull off yesterday's page, and to see what new yarn, pattern, website, or idea comes floating my way. I even have a folder where I save the pages of patterns or yarns that I think are useful. I know, ultimate Knerd-dom.

So today I pull off the page, and there's a website listed called Red Sweaters.
I put the link into my browser (because I love having every opportunity to NOT do work when I'm sitting at my desk) and I learn that the Red Sweaters project is an installation project conceived of by San Franciscan Nina Rosenberg and informed in part by the wartime initiatives of old. Her project aims to promote public awareness of the Iraq war-and it's casualties-by suspending hand-knit mini sweaters from a tree. Each 3.5" mini sweater represents a soldier lost in the war.

Right now she has 2,442 sweaters hanging from the tree, and she still needs 939. Very powerful. And that number is just going to increase every day until we get the hell out of there.


Please check out the link above, to Red Sweaters. I'm going to be casting on for my mini sweaters tonight. Hopefully you will as well.

While I'm at it- Check out United for Peace and Justice
Jeff and I attended their March on the Pentagon on March 17- Demanding the US get out of Iraq now, and to fund people's needs, not the war machine. UFPJ has great links to letters you can write to your State Rep's, to newspapers, and links and info about local demonstrations and local action you can take. Speak Up!!!

No comments: