Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Attack of the WIPs


I hate this baby blanket. Hate hate hate hate hate hate hate it. It is taking FOREVER to finish. Done on size 8's with fingering weight baby yarn, entirely in garter stitch. UGH! What was I thinking? Obviously I wasn't. At least it's not bad looking, I've actually gotten a bunch of compliments on it at my night job, so hopefully Clay and Kristin love it as much as everyone else does, ha! I hope to have it done by Friday, so I can send to Kristin in time for Mother's Day.


It isn't blocked yet, so it's hard to see the edging/border that is created with the YO in the pattern stitch. The blanket was done by casting on only 4 stitches, and then increasing one with a YO every row, until there were 200 stitches on the needle. Then, start decreasing one with a K2Tog and YO combo on the edges. I hate it, but it looks nice. Will be much nicer once blocked.



Posting these because my friend April mentioned Moda Dea yarn in her comment the other day, and just last weekend Jeff and I were down in RI, at the Job Lot, and they had a shit-ton of Moda Dea Cache and Lion Brand Boucle on sale- for $1 a ball! My roommate was less than happy to see me coming home with two more shopping bags full of yarn, hehehe.

I made the hat with about 1 1/2 balls of the Moda Dea, on size 10.5 circs. I cannot use DPNs to save my life, so I used my newly learned sock technique- 2 circs!- to do the teeny rounds at the end. I really like how it came out, and quick! I did the entire thing while Jeff took a nap and a shower- maybe 2 hrs total? Next time I would use a smaller needle on the hat, for a tighter stitch. Maybe 8s.



Sock! Not quite done, because I'm not totally in love with the ribbing at the top, and I wanted to start another pair for my Mom for mother's day. This is my very very first attempt at sock making, and I'm very very proud of it. I turned a heel, picked up a gusset, now all I have to do is graft a toe!

This is a detail of the heel, I think it's cool how the self-patterning yarn made a perfect pink triangle when I turned it. The yarn is Plymouth Sockotta. Pretty fun to work with, because it's neat to see how it knits up!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know prolific is not the right word but you're a pretty prolific knitter! The blanket is really lovely. I don't much like working with fingering weight yarn myself because I don't much like using small hooks and making teeny tiny stitches because I am very ridiculously impatient and like things that work up quickly. And how long have you been knitting? Not long as I recall? Pretty fantastic sock, very impressive. I was under the impression that knitted socks are pretty difficult and take forever? I have a few crochet sock patterns but there's something a little off about crocheted socks.

Mountain View Mama said...

I bet Zoe will love, love, love, love, love, love this hateful blanket...if ever it comes our way!